Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Feeling My 40's

The irony about being in your 40's is that, on a mental or emotional level, you feel as though things are just coming together but on a physical level, everything starts to fall apart. In the last week, my back went out, my knee went out and I broke a tooth. I have also noticed that in the last few months my eyesight has deteriorated at a frighteningly rapid pace. Yes, I am a mess! Yet, with the exception of chronic forgetfulness, my mind is sharp, I have more confidence in my abilities than ever before and I am the most comfortable with myself than I have ever been. At times I feel like I'm at the top of my game but then I look in the mirror or turn ever so slightly the wrong way and I am reminded of so many things I'd rather forget. Where is that forgetfulness when you need it?! At the end of the day (the figurative end of the day, not the literal one when I just want Tylenol and a heating pad), getting older is far preferable to the alternative and I'm not that old! I've also come to appreciate the fact that I've done a lot in my life so far and my battle scars are sometimes a source of pride (always a source of pain but sometimes a source of pride too). It's seems strange, though, that many of us start to lose control of our bodies around the same time our kids do. Getting our kids through their phases and the changes their bodies go through is a nice distraction from what's ailing us. Who's getting us through?

Every once in a while, if I'm feeling really lousy, my husband or one of my daughters will look after me. It's rare but so special when it happens. A book came through our office earlier this fall that made me think of the times the people I care for have turned around to care for me. The book is called A Sick Day for Amos McGee and it's written and illustrated by the young husband and wife team of Philip and Erin Stead. It was named one of the New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books of 2010, a well-deserved honor. I love the intricate illustrations (the facial expressions on the animals are precious) and wonderful story (the animals tend to their under-the-weather zookeeper and friend) equally and I think I might start giving it to my mom friends as a gift when they get sick or break body parts.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. I feel like a car run over me but still going and for every one.
    I love to start the day with your blog, you are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete